Friday, April 11, 2014

Rethinking life


I have spent the past week reflecting alot on how to make part of Riley's life easier. By no means do I expect him
Not to have challenges but a Mama's gotta do what a Mama's gotta do. 

After an informative talk with a friend who uses essential oils, I went back to my good old California Baby brand and got some body wash and shampoo with Lavendar and Tea Tree oils. 

Success.

Riley's bath time was the most calm I have seen. It may be also because he had an eventful day and was tired but the scent of lavendar definitely calmed me too! 

As a baby we used the Calendula cream as his lotion and it got rid of baby acne and peeling skin very quickly! I think we are goinf to revert to this brand moving forward!

Another thing I have reverted to is using a towel made of bamboo and looks like an apron. The towel goes around my head and had a snap button enclosure. It allows for Riley to be held right away from the bath tub into my arms. Previously he would cry and scream getting out of the bath and I just thought it was because he loved his bath and did not want to get out. Lo and behold it is another sensory thing where 1. He cannot process the transition from bath to getting dried off and 2. Experiencing water on his skin vs. Towel. 

The past two nights of using my bamboo towel has been hard still but he calms down ALOT quicker because I am holding him tight from the get-go. 

I also thought I would share some successes we have seen this week! 

Tonight at bath time, Riley soaped his own body and hair. Keeping in mind again how he dislikes anything on his hand I was proud of him for asking me to put soap in his hands and then learning as I taught him to "wash your body." We also made a song about it! 

More to share on eating and sensory bags and boxes tomorrow! 





No comments:

Post a Comment