Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Day 2 of Messy Play

Today was Day 2 of Messy Play.

Praise the Lord for His timing. Jill visits Riley every Tuesday at school and one Friday a month with us. Being that it is Tuesday, it was "Jill" day.

Jill gave me some great ideas in her notes, all of which I was eager to try with Riley during our play time today.

1. Chalk!
Chalk is not super messy, but the idea is to get Riley on his belly and to draw/color while he is on his belly.

Riley did not get down all the way to his belly but sat and got really close to the ground and drew for about 5 minutes. Our neighbor friend came over so he had fun impressing her and she was a trooper and got on her belly with me to encourage him. Thanks E-E!

2. Bubbles
This is not part of messy play but it is part of strengthening his mouth muscles to encourage the chewing motion. He has not quite learned to blow bubbles but he blows when I ask him to and had fun chasing the bubbles around the house

3. Bean boxes
We played with the beans again today and he had no problem using his entire hand to touch the beans. I made him transfer beans to a small bottle and he enjoyed putting beans in and dumping them out and doing it all over again.

Now if you are like me, you're wondering, now how in the world are all of these things helping him with anything really?

Yeap. I have been wondering the same thing.

UNTIL WE HAD DINNER!

Riley touched grits with his hand. And it got ALL over his hand.
Remember, he experiences the world with his thumb and index finger. This is a huge deal!

He ate!
Riley usually takes about 3 or 4 bites with us and he is done. Most of the time he will take 2 textures and be done. Tonight he took in 5 different textures at once!
Riley also has meltdowns when he wants to get out of his chair. Tonight I told him "one more bite" and he actually took it.

He ate sweets!
Riley ate bread with Jelly and drank some apple juice. He hates sweets and only drinks milk and water.

I cannot believe I am rejoicing over these somewhat strange things but my heart is overjoyed in the chances he is taking with his food!

I feel like I'm one step closer to a fat baby! Thank you Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment